Friday, February 27, 2009

Four-lined silverfish





I am a woodworker who has been mostly using old planks for my projects these days. The planks are stored in a nearby barn which is not closed to the elements. When I bring these planks into my shop, I have been noticing a plethora of silverfish, sluggish at first, but when the shop begins to warm up so do the silverfish (and I).
The other day, I slipped a few of these guys into a baggie and left them outside overnight, where it dipped to 16 degrees Fahrenheit.
The next morning, they were just frozen little bits, but within a half hour after being inside, they started skittering about full of energy. That's when I got the big idea of taking a closer look at them under my microscope. Here are some poor pictures made with the cheap microscope camera.

No comments: